How to pay child support in Colorado

Getting a divorce or separating from a partner with whom you share children can prove difficult in several ways. The child support aspect of it alone may prove more challenging to navigate than you might think. If you’re on the payor side of a child support order, you may think you can just write your ex a check every month, but it doesn’t work that way in Colorado. 

Those ordered to pay child support must submit their payments to Child Support Services. Child Support Services then distributes the funds to the payee.


Before you can start making payments, you will need to obtain a Family Support Registry number. You get this by applying online or at your local county office. As soon as you have that number, you can begin making payments.  

How to pay 

There are several ways that the state allows you to meet your child support obligation. You may pay using

  • Smart E-pay 
  • Income withholding 
  • Money Gram 
  • Mail-in payments 
  • Credit card payments online 
  • PayNearMe service 
  • Pay-by-phone 

No matter which of these options you choose, the payments get processed on the day they are made. The payee should have access to them within a couple of business days. The payee also must register for an FSR account to access the funds. Once they have their account set up, they can choose to receive the support in check form or via direct deposit.  

Why do I need to pay this way? 

Paying this way is all about good recordkeeping and ensuring the receiving party gets what’s owed. When one makes payments with an FSR number, the payment gets recorded. This is good for you should you ever need proof that you are meeting your support obligation. 

If you fail to make payments, Child Support Services can then step in and seek to enforce the child support order. There are a number of ways it is authorized to do this. 

What if I can’t make my payment? 

If you cannot make your support payment due to financial inability or hardship, it may be a good time to seek an order adjustment. You may be able to achieve this by working with Child Support Services. In some cases, it may be necessary to go to court. The sooner you address the situation, though, the better.