Colorado Criminal Defense Lawyer
At Martin & Reed, LLC, our Colorado criminal defense lawyers take your case as seriously as you do. To be convicted of any crime can negatively affect your life. In many cases, convicted individuals must pay with their freedom. We understand this and will do everything we can to help you avoid conviction. You can count on your experienced Colorado criminal defense lawyer from Martin & Reed, LLC, to work tirelessly on your behalf, fighting for you at every stage of your criminal case. Schedule your free consultation with one of our skilled Colorado criminal defense attorneys by calling (970) 573-5187 or by completing our contact form.
Are You Under Investigation Or Being Charged With a Colorado Crime?
As soon as the police make contact with you, you should make contact with a Colorado criminal defense lawyer. People who are merely under investigation often make the mistake of talking to the police and providing information that can be twisted and used against them. Police will act like they are on your side. They will act like they are just trying to clear your name. That is not what they are doing. They are looking for any way possible to charge you and convict you.
Whether you are under investigation or you have been charged, we will take immediate action to protect your rights. You will have the confidence that comes with knowing that you have a skilled Colorado criminal defense attorney on your side.
At Martin & Reed, LLC, our experienced criminal defense lawyers have handled thousands of criminal defense cases in Greeley, Fort Collins, and other areas throughout Colorado. We defend against all misdemeanor and felony charges, including:
- DUI/DWAI offenses involving juveniles and adults
- Traffic offenses, including speeding, driving under suspension, and reckless driving
- Drug offenses, including drug possession
- Sex offenses, including sexual assault and child pornography possession
- Assault, including first-degree and second-degree assault
- Domestic violence, including harassment, stalking, and assault
- White-collar crimes, including embezzlement and Ponzi schemes
- Theft and property crimes, including shoplifting
- Weapons offenses
In addition to defending adults, we can provide juvenile defense representation. We also attend bond hearings and can defend against probation violations.
What Are Colorado’s Classifications of Crimes?
Colorado has a complex system for crime classification, organized by level of offense, crime type, and category. The system of addressing crimes by offense type and level works as follows:
- Felony classes 1-6, plus unclassified felonies
- Drug felonies levels 1-4
- Misdemeanor classes 1-3, plus unclassified
- Drug misdemeanor crimes, levels 1 and 2
- Misdemeanor traffic offenses classes 1,2, plus unclassified
- Petty offenses classes 1, 2 plus unclassified
- Drug petty offenses
- Unclassified offenses
- Drug infraction classes A, B, and unclassified infractions
This system sentences those convicted under a 4-tiered scale including felonies, misdemeanors, petty offenses, and finally, civil infractions. All of the above crime classifications fall under the following 5 categories:
- Crimes committed against other people
- Property crimes
- Inchoate crimes (taking steps toward committing or abetting a crime that wasn’t completed)
- Statutory offenses
- Financial crimes
It takes years of experience navigating this multi-tiered system in order to understand the nature of the charges and strategize the best defense, including negotiating a lesser charge when appropriate.
Our Goals When Representing You
Our Greeley criminal defense attorneys believe that people accused of a crime are entitled to the highest standards of performance. In our criminal defense work, the legal team at Martin & Reed, LLC, is committed to these goals:
- Know the law. Knowing the law well is an invaluable courtroom advantage.
- Be effective investigators, skilled at analyzing and interpreting evidence.
- Be persistent negotiators, leaving no stone unturned in making sure you get the best possible outcome.
- Be second to none as courtroom lawyers. We have experienced trial lawyers.
- Be affordable by eliminating nonessential work and focusing on positive results.
- Protecting your constitutional rights as if they were our own because they are.
Why Choose Martin & Reed to Defend Your Charge
At Martin & Reed, we understand that no one’s story is black and white, and everyone deserves the strongest possible defense against criminal charges that carry life-altering penalties upon conviction. Our team remains committed to the goals of providing an immediate aggressive defense of our client’s rights under Colorado’s justice system. We offer a distinct advantage in courtrooms, with two decades of knowledge, experience, and resources at our fingertips to put behind your defense. Even when your defense appears weak, we know how to investigate the unique circumstances of your case to bolster your defense so we can defend you from a position of strength.
How Can a Greeley Criminal Defense Attorney Help?
No one should ever take on the legal system alone, especially when they are facing criminal charges with life-changing penalties including significant jail time. The justice system is powerful and complex and once you’ve been charged, it is not on your side and moves quickly. You need a prompt and powerful defense to protect your rights and dignity so you aren’t swept under the strong currents of the fast-moving legal system.
Our Greeley drug crime defense team understands that you are entitled to a strong, swift defense. The attorneys at Martin & Reed will do the following on your behalf:
- Meet to discuss the particulars of the case and hear your side of what happened
- Focus on the strengths and weaknesses of the case on both sides
- Conduct a thorough investigation to identify possible avenues for acquittal, including the methods and procedures the police used in making the charges and arrest
- Review the prosecution’s case and then counteract their points and look for holes in their case against you in order to build the strongest possible defense
- Maintain open communication and contact with you throughout every step of the process
- Assist with jury selection
- Negotiate for a plea bargain when appropriate
- Put up a powerful defense case throughout the trial, including examining witnesses for your defense and strategically cross-examining witnesses for the prosecution, carefully demonstrating to the jury that the prosecution has failed in its burden of proof
- Represent your best interests through the sentencing phase if there is a conviction, and then review your case in order to address the possibility of a strong appeal
Having a strong defense is essential when you’re facing criminal charges in Greeley, Fort Collins, Denver, and the surrounding area.
We Never Give Up On Your Colorado Criminal Case
While not every case goes to trial, prosecutors know that our Colorado criminal defense attorneys are not afraid of trial or the courtroom. This gives us leverage in negotiation that has led to many favorable plea agreements. We know there is always something that can be done to make a weak case stronger. We have the knowledge, skill, and energy to fight for your rights.
If you are being investigated for a crime or have been charged, contact Martin & Reed, LLC, right away so your knowledgeable Colorado criminal defense lawyer can begin working on your defense. Schedule your free consultation by calling (970) 573-5187 or by completing our contact form.