Fort Collins Weapons Offense AttorneyRequest Free Consultation
It’s imperative that you take weapons offensives seriously. In Fort Collins and the surrounding areas, “weapons offenses” are apart of a broad category used as a catchall for different criminal charges. Colorado has multiple regulations and statutes that govern the possession and use of guns and other weapons. If you or someone you love faces a weapons offense charge, it’s vital that you hire a skilled Fort Collins weapons offense lawyer with the right legal experience. Martin & Reed, LLC, is ready to help you. Schedule your free consultation by calling (970) 573-5187 or completing our contact form. An experienced criminal defense lawyer from our law firm is standing by to review the facts of your case and help develop a defense strategy.
What Are the Common Weapons Charges in Fort Collins?
The weapons offense attorneys at Martin & Reed, LLC, have the legal experience necessary to represent you for your weapons offenses, regardless of whether it is one of the most common charges or one that isn’t often seen in the system. However, since there is a list of weapons charges that occur more than others, it’s best to know them so that you recognize that you’re not alone and that our law firm is ready to help.
- Unlawful possession of a firearm by a felon; you may hear this referred to as possession of a weapon by a previous offender.
- Possession of a dangerous weapon; an example of a dangerous weapon includes guns with silencers.
- Possession of an illegal weapon; an example of an illegal weapon includes switchblade knives.
- Carrying a concealed weapon on premises where concealed weapons are not allowed; an example of this includes school grounds and inside of schools.
- Gun charges resulting from a drug arrest.
- Removing or altering the serial number of a gun; you may hear this referred to as defacing a firearm.
If you or someone you love is charged with a weapons offense, it’s very serious. Call Martin & Reed, LLC, right away. It’s important to develop a defense with an experienced Fort Collins weapons offense lawyer immediately. The first consultation is free.
When Is it Prohibited to Use a Weapon in Fort Collins, Colorado?
There are many laws that cover the prohibited use of a weapon in Colorado. They include, but are not limited to:
- Being in possession of a gun if you’re under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Shooting a firearm in a way that is reckless or negligent, including shooting into a home or occupied structure. In Colorado, bows are also considered a firearm.
- Willfully aiming a gun at someone for any reason except self-defense.
- Leaving a loaded weapon unattended or using it as a trap to shoot or explode when someone approaches or trips it.
- Being in possession and using weapons such as bombs, switchblades, bows, throwing stars, and nunchakus, unless it is a genuine public demonstration.
There are other instances as well.
What Should You Do If You’re Charged with a Weapons Offense in Fort Collins?
If law enforcement has charged you with a weapons offense or if they’re actively investigating you in Fort Collins, there are some things you can do to help yourself.
- Contact Martin & Reed, LLC, immediately to schedule your consultation.
- Do not discuss what’s happening with anyone other than your weapons offense lawyer.
- Accept nothing offered to you by the prosecutor until you talk to your criminal defense lawyer. They may not be telling you the truth because their goal is to win, not get justice.
- We understand how hard this is for you. Stay positive, and keep a low profile, especially until you come talk with us.
Schedule your free consultation with a skilled Fort Collins weapons offense attorney at Martin & Reed, LLC, now!